Monday, October 01, 2007,12:13 AM
soft sound (haibun)
DSC03872
My wife and I had to be there early - in separate vehicles. Our oldest child is going to perform with his junior high band before the high school football game. He wants to stay and see the half-time show and as much of the game as he can. Not a great idea to me, though, so I offered to go early and take care of the other kids.
.
It's been more than twenty years since I've walked into Blakemore Field. That was in my first two years of college. I came here to see the high school band, still having some of the people that I had been in band with. (The real reason was to impress them, wearing my red Razorback Band jacket.)
.
noticing dust
on the piano~
autumn sunset
.
Walking through the gate, I'm amazed by the newness of the place. The bleachers have been re-built, making them huge compared to the ones from the past. The bright green everywhere.
.
The bands from the high school and both junior high schools fill the field. We walk through to the far end so we can see our son. The only people that call my name are my students. The only name I hear is Mr. Lockhart. Hearing, actually, is difficult tonight. Even with my hearing aid there's too much background noise. My wife says something to me and I have to lean all the way to her face to understand the words
.
.
soft sound
of fluttering wings~
monarch
.
After the opening show we walk down the bleachers to meet our son. I have to go slowly and hold on to the rail. I've had problems recently with steps.
.
We meet him and tell him we enjoyed the performance. He's excited, this being his first time to play on that field. I tell my wife that the grandparents probably need some relief, so I'll go on home.
.
I walk slowly through the crowd, out the gate, and through the dark to my car - deciding to go for a drive.... a long drive.
.
an old book
I've never read~
second chance

Labels:

 
posted by J. Andrew Lockhart
Permalink ¤